Following my less-than-excellent first experience with third party cover designers, I decided to give it another go.
This experience was more thought-through than the last one. I put a lot more effort into the process myself. Nevertheless, I wasn’t satisfied with the results and so I defaulted to another solution: do it yourself.
Not to be embarked upon lightly, this involved reading and watching videos about cover design, getting rid of my preconceived notions of how I wanted the cover to look, watching a ton of videos about graphic design in GIMP (because you don’t buy professional software for a one-off project) and scouring free image repositories for assest I could use (because you don’t sign up to depositphotos for a one-off project).
I’m undecided on the final result, but it’s at least more appropriate for the book. You be the judge.
Read on to hear about the process, and to see the results…
For reasons I won’t go into, I am presently in Budapest. The way things are going, I will most likely be able to write more here than I have over the past few weeks, which I am looking forward to because things have been slow going.
I’ve yet to find my feet, and am writing this from a charming little coffee shop terrace where social distancing is not too painful and I don’t feel the need to slop ethanol-laced gel over my hands every few minutes. I have yet to take any decent pictures, but this is not my first time here, so allow me to share one I took a few years ago when I was here in winter!